Wonder: A Movie Review

Anja H., Staff Writer

The fans (and the critics) have been eagerly awaiting the release of Wonder, an adaptation of RJ Palacio’s beloved book of the same name. It came out on November 17th, and I am going to tell you all about it.

Plot Overview

Wonder is the story of Auggie Pullman’s journey through 5th grade. Auggie has a craniofacial difference that makes him look different from his peers. This sparks a bit of outrage, (due to the fact that Beecher Prep has never harbored a student that looks like him) mainly from the classic mean kid, Julian Albans. Auggie has to navigate all of this pressure all while trying to stay positive.

Interview

I interviewed fellow student Anna Doherty about Wonder to see what she thought. She says it was a good movie (she really appreciated the emotion in the movie) and she thought the casting accurately depicted the roles.

However on that subject she does think that that instead of casting Jacob Tremblay who does not have a disability they should’ve looked to see if anyone that had a disability wanted to play his character.

I also talked to Ava Martinez. She also says the movie was good. She thought they made Auggie look realistic and she also enjoyed that the plot line stayed close to the book. Those were her only thoughts.

My Thoughts

I thought that Wonder was a good movie but it had some major pitfalls. For example, after extensive googling, I found out that they cast Jacob Tremblay, who does not have a disability, to play Auggie. I feel as though that is an injustice because he did not or was not able to fully get in touch with the disability perspective.

However, I did enjoy that they did represent Via (Auggie’s sister)’s point of view. It made me think about someone’s perspective that sometimes has to take the back burner and I looked at the movie in a new light afterwards. I also thought it was great that they had such a diverse range of actors because let’s face it, it’s 2017 and there isn’t just one type of person in the world. In my opinion it is nice to know the movie acknowledged that and wanted that to be represented.

Did you see Wonder? Comment below if you agree with my review and also if this article convinced you to see it or not.

1 Comment

One Response to “Wonder: A Movie Review”

1. Anna on December 19th, 2017 11:54 am

Great job. I liked how you went behind the scenes in the movie Wonder.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Wonder: A Movie Review

DIY

The paper fortune teller, a fun game to make and play with friends.

• Wonder: A Movie Review

Showcase

Florida School Shooting: A Poem

• Wonder: A Movie Review

Showcase

Riddles! Are you Game?

• Wonder: A Movie Review

Arts & Entertainment

The Hate U Give: Book Review

• Wonder: A Movie Review

Showcase

Schoology: Yes or No?

• Wonder: A Movie Review

Around Roosevelt

“I Survived” Contest-Roosevelt Could Win!

• Wonder: A Movie Review

Showcase

Super Sub Sandwiches! Which One is the BEST?

• Wonder: A Movie Review

News

Climate Change: It Is Real!

• Wonder: A Movie Review

Arts & Entertainment

Book Review: The Land of Stories

• Wonder: A Movie Review

Around Roosevelt

Upcoming Fields Trips 2

Wonder: A Movie Review