Fun Lunch: A Privilege or a Right?

Mara V., Staff Writer

We all run into the lunch room on Fridays to grab our card and get our lunch, but do we ever think about where all this food is coming? Are our parents paying for this? We will figure out now.

Every Friday we try to get out of class the fastest to get our lunch. So let’s talk to the student body and see what they think about fun lunch.

I decided to ask two fifth graders. The first fifth grader (a girl) said that she does like fun lunch because there are many different options and variety. I asked her if she thought fun lunch was a privilege or a right. She replied, “A privilege because not every school has it.” Her favorite fun lunch to have is pasta because she like pasta. Lastly I asked her if we should have more than one day for fun lunch. “Only Friday is good but maybe on holidays where we have a full day it would be really fun.”

Another fifth grader(a boy) said that he sometimes likes fun lunch but only when it is pasta or pizza. He also thinks that fun lunch is a privilege because “we get free food and there are many different options.” His favourite fun lunch is pizza because “It is pizza.” It’s true! Pizza is good! Finally I asked home if he wants fun lunch more than just one day. He said he did not want it more than one day because it is too unhealthy.

I decided to ask some 6th graders too. The first sixth grader(a girl) said that she does like fun lunch except for the fact that she doesn’t like pizza as much as the other foods. She thinks that Fun Lunch is a right because “you can’t take a kid away from food!” Her favorite fun lunch is Buona Beef because shelikes the chicken tenders and it is good. When I asked her if there should be more days for fun lunch she said no because it is good the way it is.

I asked another 6th grader(a boy) if he likes fun lunch he said yes because we don’t get this kind of food that often. He thinks that fun lunch is a privilege because not everyone that goes to school gets this kind of food. His favorite fun lunch is pizza because it is good. And when I asked him if we should have more days for fun lunch he said no because kids don’t need extra junk food.

I asked some 7th graders too. The first seventh grader(a girl)said that she thinks that Fun Lunch is only ok because it is not always that good  but not always that filling. She thinks that Fun Lunch is a privilege because the PTO gets the food for us and pays for it. Buona beef because it tastes better than the rest of the choices. They think that we don’t need another day for fun lunch because every week you can look forward to something.

What do you think about Fun Lunch? Is it a right or a privilege? Comment below.  

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Fun Lunch: A Privilege or a Right?”

1. Anna on December 19th, 2017 11:49 am

Great jod Mara. I never thought of fun lunch that way.

[Reply]

2. Cole Baird on January 9th, 2018 1:57 pm

Fun lunch is a right becease you can’t take away food

[Reply]

Gavin Jones Reply:

Fun lunch is a privilege because there are millions of starving people so we are lucky enough to even have any food at all, Cole

[Reply]

3. Catherine on January 11th, 2018 9:49 am

Good job this was a great article! It was very interesting because I have never thought about fun lunch in that way.

[Reply]

4. Daniela on January 19th, 2018 11:36 am

Wow. That’s A nice article, I really enjoyed it.

[Reply]

5. Gavin Jones on February 22nd, 2018 3:41 pm

Fun lunch is a privilege because there are millions of starving people so we are lucky enough to even have any food at all.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Fun Lunch: A Privilege or a Right?

Showcase

Are There Bugs in Food?

• Fun Lunch: A Privilege or a Right?

Arts & Entertainment

The Girl Who Could Fly: Book Review

• Fun Lunch: A Privilege or a Right?

Showcase

2nd Annual Spring Art Contest Award Winners

• Fun Lunch: A Privilege or a Right?

News

Roosevelt Student Led Walk Out to Demand Gun Control

• Fun Lunch: A Privilege or a Right?

DIY

Make Your Own Edible Slime

• Fun Lunch: A Privilege or a Right?

Showcase

The Importance of Compost and Recyclying!

• Fun Lunch: A Privilege or a Right?

Arts & Entertainment

• Fun Lunch: A Privilege or a Right?

News

Are Zoos The Right Thing?

• Fun Lunch: A Privilege or a Right?

News

An Important Announcement from the Walkout Committee…

• Fun Lunch: A Privilege or a Right?

Showcase

Washing The Jerseys?

Fun Lunch: A Privilege or a Right?