Are Zoos The Right Thing?

Daniela A., Staff Writer

Many animals around the world are put in zoos, including elephants, penguins, and so many more. Some believe that zoos can be harsh and cruel for animals around the world. But, some believe it is the right place for the animals.

Reasons Zoos are Bad

Many people think that many zoos are getting education and research on these animals before they are put in zoos. But they are not getting the whole story because the animals are not acting they would in their real home. According to captiveanimals.org,  “Zoos can’t provide enough room.” Many are not getting enough room to move and are acting very sad all day at the zoo. Why do these people lock up all these poor animals?

In addition, animals act depressed because they don’t have as much space to roam. Many animals in zoos have to stay in a small area, but in their real homes they have as much space as they want. So the animals might act weird and that can lead to bad things. Fore example, sometimes when a zoo doesn’t want an animal, it gets killed, or sold to another zoo. Peta.org says that, “surplus of animals are killed,” which means that zoos don’t really care what the animals are feeling.

Next, some zoos use bad drugs on animals to make them follow tricks and participate when they are on a show. This can be bad because the animals might be allergic and they will suffer from abnormal behavior. Plus if the animals may have too much drugs and they may die from abnormal behavior. It is very sad for these animals. They suffer bad deaths from being in too little space. Also according to Peta Kids, “zoos don’t really care about the animals they care about the money.” This means that some zoos don’t have appreciation for the animals and whether they get sick or not.

Also, animals can get separated from each other. Sometimes people separate babies from their mom and grandparents. This may lead to the baby’s death without its mom. Think about this…let’s say your mom is separated from you. You would be sad, I’m sure about it. And if the baby does not have enough milk, then it may die. Plus, what zookeepers feed them is not the right food from them especially if the animal is still a baby.

Zoos are also Good

On the other hand, you may be thinking it’s all bad, but zoos can also be good. You can learn about cool animals, you get to see and interact with them. Also people can get research on them and they can have fun. Zoos are also a family tradition. We get to see animals and have lots of fun. Also endangered animals need a place to stay.

In the end, we need to decide if we should we keep zoos or not. If we do keep them, we will find a way to make sure they are safe.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Are Zoos The Right Thing?”

1. Julia on April 2nd, 2018 6:23 pm

I think that zoos are good and bad because the zoo on the one hand, helps near extinct animals in their buildings in hopes to breed more of their kind, which lets future generations learn more about these animals :). But on the other hand, like the article says, the zoos may use drugs that affects the animal which is technically animal cruelty 🙁 ! So I honestly think that zoos are half good and half bad

[Reply]

2. Finn Kelly on April 12th, 2018 10:18 am

Zoos are evil because it is just taking animals out of their original habitat and putting them in a cage. That is wrong.

[Reply]

3. Jade Morelli on May 16th, 2018 2:35 pm

I think zoos and bad and good and depend. On where they are located. If they have a big space to put animals it’s okay, but if they do not then they are bad.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Are Zoos The Right Thing?

News

Kilauea, Hawaii’s Active Volcano

• Are Zoos The Right Thing?

Showcase

Are There Bugs in Food?

• Are Zoos The Right Thing?

Arts & Entertainment

The Girl Who Could Fly: Book Review

• Are Zoos The Right Thing?

Showcase

2nd Annual Spring Art Contest Award Winners

• Are Zoos The Right Thing?

News

Roosevelt Student Led Walk Out to Demand Gun Control

• Are Zoos The Right Thing?

DIY

Make Your Own Edible Slime

• Are Zoos The Right Thing?

Showcase

The Importance of Compost and Recyclying!

• Are Zoos The Right Thing?

Arts & Entertainment

• Are Zoos The Right Thing?

News

An Important Announcement from the Walkout Committee…

• Are Zoos The Right Thing?

Showcase

Washing The Jerseys?

Are Zoos The Right Thing?