Banned Books Week

Alena A., Staff Writer

After seeing the library’s banned books display, I’m sure many of you are wondering, what exactly are banned books? Banned books are books that have been banned in certain schools, libraries, and bookstores after people claimed about them. They are a number of reasons why people feel books should be banned, such as bad or offensive language, violence, or claims that it goes against a certain religion. This doesn’t mean we can’t read them, though. Many of these books can be found in our school library, and some are even read in our reading classes! Below is why a few books on the list are banned, and at the end you can find a full list of this year’s banned books.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone: The Sorcerer’s Stone is the first book in the Harry Potter series. It is a about a young orphan boy named Harry Potter who learns that he’s a wizard, famous for being “the boy who lived” after the evil wizard Voldemort was unable to kill him after killing his parents. He is accepted into Hogwarts School of Wizardry where he is to learn magic and meets his two best friends, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger.

Why it’s banned: Many Christians don’t like the book’s depiction of witchcraft and some even claim that it “promotes occultism.”

A Light in the Attic: Shel Silverstein’s second book of unique poems.

Why it’s banned: Some specific poems are found problematic, such as one that describes the death of a girl after her parents refuse to get her a pony. People also have problems with some supernatural themes in the poems.

The Giver: The Giver is about a boy named Jonas who lives a futuristic dystopian society when everyone is the same and no one has the ability to feel pain. Everyone also has their job chosen for them at twelve, and Jonas is chosen as the Reciever of Memory, a mysterious job that leads him to meet the Giver.

Why it’s banned: Many people have tried to get the Giver banned in the grounds that it is too dark for children. Other reasons include that it contains “offensive language” and is violent.

The Outsiders: The Outsiders is about a poor gang in Oklahoma who have a rivalry with a richer gang, the Socs. After one clashing of the gangs turns violent, two boys from the poor gang, Ponyboy and Johnny, are forced to flee their hometown.

Why it’s banned: Many have problems with some of the things shown in the book such as gang violence, underage drinking, strong language, and family dysfunction.

A Wrinkle in Time: A Wrinkle in Time is about a girl name Meg who embarks on a time travel adventure to rescue her father with her brother Charles, a boy named Calvin, and three strange, magical women named Mrs. Who, Mrs. Whatsit, and Mrs. Which.

Why it’s banned: Some people have problems with its mentions of witches and some have claimed that it challenges religious beliefs.

Here is a list of some other commonly banned books:

• Fallen Angels
  • Persepolis
  • The Witches
  • Speak
  • George
  • The Chocolate War
  • I know Why the Caged Bird Sings
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
  • Thirteen Reasons Why
  • The Hunger Games
  • The Diary of Anne Frank
  • Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
  • Drama
  • Twilight 
  • To Kill a Mockingbird
  • Bone
  • James and the Giant Peach
  • Looking for Alaska
  • Al Capone Does my Shirts
  • Bridge to Terabithia
  • Are you There God? It’s me, Margaret.
  • Lord of the Rings 
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Mick Harte was Here