The Importance of MAPS Testing

Lizzie P. and Anja H.

Every fall, winter, and spring we all have to take the Measure of Academic Progress, more commonly known as MAPs. Many students at Roosevelt don’t enjoy MAPs testing, but it’s a test that’s a key measurement for student academic growth, according to an interview with Roosevelt’s vice principal, Mrs. Steketee, though many of the students who take the MAP test don’t really understand it, how it works, or why we take it. Mrs. Steketee explains it in an exclusive interview.

MAPs testing is a measure of student growth. It measures how much a student advances in the academic subjects of math and reading from fall to winter and all the way to the end of the year in spring.

Although many students don’t like it, MAPs is “one of the drops in a whole bucket of you” as Mrs. Steketee describes it. MAPs is also one of the factors that can determine what classes you’re in, such as being in ATP, Common Core, or other math or being in reading, humanities, or other English classes.    

The amount of academic progress you make during the year is what the school looks at to see the pace at which you learn. MAPs testing is one “drop in the bucket” of what the school looks at to see the pace at which a student learns and what academic point a student is at during their learning journey. The school also looks at students’ MAP scores in a larger sense. They look at the MAP scores of all the students in River Forest, Cook County, the Chicago area, the state of Illinois, and even the whole U.S. It also looks at how well your teachers are teaching you the content that is supposed to be learned, so it doesn’t only affect students.

Although, one of Mrs. Steketee’s primary messages that she told us was that no student should be worried or stressed about MAPs. It is impossible to study for, it’s untimed, and it only measures how much you grow academically as a student.

And, you cannot get every question correct. Mrs. Steketee describes that one of the things unique about MAPs is that it’s adaptive, so as you answer correctly, you will receive more challenging questions and as you answer incorrectly, the questions get easier. Every student has a unique set of questions.

On another topic of standardized testing, the Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers, what many students recognize as PARCC, will not be taken this year. According to Mrs. Steketee, a new test, the Illinois Assessment of Readiness, will be what student take in its place. The school doesn’t have much information on this test, but they are sure that there will be no more PARCC testing for this year.

Back to the subject of MAPs, don’t be too upset when having to take the test, because it is what schools look at to see how you, as a student, are learning. We hope that you now understand the ins and outs of MAP testing!