Sonic the Bionic

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sonic the Bionic

Josie K., Staff Writer

Sonic the Bionic was a four month old kitten missing a bone in one of his front legs due to birth deformity. Read this article and learn about this poor kitten and his heroic story, and 3D animal limb printing and its achievements.

Sonic, the four month old kitten was missing a bone in his front leg due to birth deformity. Life was hard for Sonic, even just walking was extremely difficult and uncomfortable. Luckily, with help from an animal shelter in Denver, and students from the Art Institute of Colorado, this little guy’s life was about to be a whole lot easier! They printed Sonic a 3D prosthesis. Dr. Louisa Poon said in behalf of the Animal Shelter in Denver that a case like that of Sonic the Bionic would normally have few solutions, with each not having a promising outcome. The amazing fact that Sonic got a second chance in life because of 3D printing is incredible.

Before Sonic’s new paw got printed, students first took a look at Sonic’s other paw’s movements without a prosthesis. By looking at how Sonic moved while wearing a prototype, the students could compare it to his movements without the prototype. By comparing it they could see if Sonic’s movements improved or if he was uncomfortable with the new paw. At times when he was clearly uncomfortable, the students knew they had to make adjustment and create a new prototype. The prototypes were made with plastic to keep the costs low but the final product is made out of Carbon Fiber to give the paw more stability and because it is more durable. It is very important for animals who are still in the first stage of life to have functional legs and paws. If not, the missing leg or paw could cause extreme deformities in the rest of their body when they grow up. Sonic the Bionic was a remarkable story. 3D printing helped impact his life in a great way, that no other solution could have given him. Sonic now lives a peaceful and happy life.

1 Comment

One Response to “Sonic the Bionic”

1. Ishika Mundhra on January 8th, 2019 8:15 am

This is great! I love the name Sonic!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Sonic the Bionic

News

Tucker the 3D Dog

• Sonic the Bionic

News

Deadliest Wildfires in California History

• Sonic the Bionic

News

The History of Thanksgiving

• Sonic the Bionic

News

The Truth About Christopher Columbus

• Sonic the Bionic

News

Facebook Security Breach

• Sonic the Bionic

News

Hurricane Florence: What You Need To Know

• Sonic the Bionic

News

Hurricane Florence Animal Rescue

• Sonic the Bionic

News

In Black and Write

• Sonic the Bionic

News

Kilauea, Hawaii’s Active Volcano

• Sonic the Bionic

News

Roosevelt Student Led Walk Out to Demand Gun Control

Sonic the Bionic