Book Review: The Iron Trial

Book Review: The Iron Trial

Julia M., Staff Writer

The Iron Trial was written by Cassandra Clare and Holly Black. It was published on September 9, 2014 by Scholastic Press. It is being considered as a movie and is one of The New York Times bestseller books. This is the first book in the series.

Callum Hunt has been warned about magic and the Magisterium, the school of magic. After all, Call’s own mother died from magic or that is what he was told. Call has been told to fail the Iron Trial, a trial that admits students to the Magisterium. Unfortunately, Call fails at failing and is admitted into the Magisterium, the one place he absolutely doesn’t want to go to. Now the day has come that Call is faced with an impossible decision. Should he go back to his father and lose his magic or should he complete the iron year at the Magisterium and risk going against everything his father has taught him to believe? This story incorporates the beauty of friendship, independence, and the change of a soul.

What I Liked-

This book has twists and turns at every corner and show how difficult it is to feel like he/she belongs into a new place. I also liked how the characters are relatable.

What I Didn’t Like-

I didn’t like Jasper because his personality is awful. Other than Jasper there is nothing in this book I would like to change.