How Much Personal Screen Time is Healthy?

Anja H., Staff Writer

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

An ongoing battle between parents and kids is the issue of too much screen time. While it is true that much of your school work is now done electronically, many kids are wondering are our brains turning to mush already? This article will (hopefully) clear up all of your worries about screen time and you can be assured that the next time you ask for screen time, you’re making the right decision.

According to Common Sense Media, Parent Toolkit and the American Council of Pediatrics “Parents and children should sit down and create a media plan that will work for your family since there is no one size for any middle grade family.”

All 3 sites suggest putting on some safeguards. Some suggestions are:

• Using aliases on chat rooms and regularly monitoring your own chat account so no strangers try to friend you
  • Setting a “ no way” media ban on content you feel is inappropriate for your mind to handle
  • Overall monitoring of media usage to know you are not going over your plan limit

However, according to the New York Times, there is an argument for unlimited screen time. According to Chris Bergman who grew up playing video games, “ Video games taught me about how to spend and save money, about imagination and about digital etiquette.” He also reminisces about his experience when he allowed his kids unlimited screen time up until a family visit at Grandma’s. He also observed his nephew who lives in a screen regulated household except for the family visit. He shares his observations with readers noting, “While my nephew watched hours and hours of Spongebob because that is unheard of at home and took advantage of the experiment, my kids were more interested in playing with cousins they rarely see.” To finish off the piece,  he writes, “Let your kids have unlimited screen time so they can have better discretion when family time matters.”

Which side do you agree with? Let me know in the comment section below!

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

21 Comments

21 Responses to “How Much Personal Screen Time is Healthy?”

1. ANNA on October 30th, 2017 9:24 am

This is very well written.

2. Tommy on October 30th, 2017 3:20 pm

I agree with New York times

Cole Baird Reply:

Me too

3. Cole Baird on October 31st, 2017 1:55 pm

I always have unlimited screen time and my brain is not messed up.

Sophia Powell Reply:

Yeah. I agree Cole.

Nathan Moskoff Reply:

Same

Julia J Reply:

Same

4. Sherlock on November 6th, 2017 1:55 pm

If you have unlimited screen time wouldn’t you’re eyes become bad and weak
    And glasses.
    I don’t agree with unlimited screen time.

5. Jade Morelli on November 6th, 2017 1:57 pm

This was a interesting article

6. Penelope Kong on November 7th, 2017 9:23 am

Very well written! I think kids shouldn’t have unlimited screen time, but they can get a couple of hours as long as they have permission and done chores, practiced an instrument and clean room or at least done all H.W due the next day. 2-4 is probably good, 6 at the most, no more than that.

Sherlock Reply:

I agree and disagree…
    I think max time should be 2 hours of screen time.

7. Sherlock on November 7th, 2017 10:05 am

No I don’t agre with the news!

8. Isabella Lema on November 7th, 2017 11:49 am

I have limited screen time and i feel happy about the limited amount. I don’t need any more than I do now.

Nathan Moskoff Reply:

Really?

9. Nathan Moskoff on November 7th, 2017 1:59 pm

I agree we should have unlimited screen time. But I see the cons in it, they get crabby, they will get over reactive about it, and will get really mad if they don’t get video games if you tell them the can’t have some.

10. Stella on November 16th, 2017 1:56 pm

WOW that was really good and interesting!;)

11. Sadie Murphy on November 17th, 2017 12:22 pm

I hardly get any screen time! I mostly only get it at school, on my I-pad. At home, my family does other things. To sum up, I probably get 1 hour of personal screen time per week, not including my school I-pad Also, this articale was great! I really enjoyed reading it.

12. Jake O’Connor on November 21st, 2017 12:55 pm

Me and a lot of other people are on our screens 24-7 at home. And we look fine and we can see perfeccty. See? I read this over andd there are noo typos.

13. Alex Zielinski on November 23rd, 2017 2:03 pm

My mom allows me 1 hour of screen time on weekdays and 2 hours on weekends

Lev khoubaeva-hummel Reply:

I understand that people want unlimited screen time but it really does mess up your Bain you get very annoyed easily and you are very sensitive to sound so I know that unlimited screen time feels AWSOME!,! But it’s not good for you trust both of my parents are doctors and one is phsycological doctor and trust me he has lots of kid with anger issues because of screen time!

14. Sherlock on December 14th, 2017 2:20 pm

Hahahahaha no I DO NOT AGREE

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Navigate Right
Navigate Left
  • How Much Personal Screen Time is Healthy?

DIY

The paper fortune teller, a fun game to make and play with friends.

• How Much Personal Screen Time is Healthy?

Showcase

Florida School Shooting: A Poem

• How Much Personal Screen Time is Healthy?

Showcase

Riddles! Are you Game?

• How Much Personal Screen Time is Healthy?

Arts & Entertainment

The Hate U Give: Book Review

• How Much Personal Screen Time is Healthy?

Showcase

Schoology: Yes or No?

• How Much Personal Screen Time is Healthy?

Around Roosevelt

“I Survived” Contest-Roosevelt Could Win!

• How Much Personal Screen Time is Healthy?

Showcase

Super Sub Sandwiches! Which One is the BEST?

• How Much Personal Screen Time is Healthy?

News

Climate Change: It Is Real!

• How Much Personal Screen Time is Healthy?

Arts & Entertainment

Book Review: The Land of Stories

• How Much Personal Screen Time is Healthy?

Around Roosevelt

Upcoming Fields Trips 2

How Much Personal Screen Time is Healthy?